Nearly everyone feels anxious from time to time. Anxiety is a normal response to stress or danger and is often called the ‘flight or fight’ response. This process involves adrenalin being quickly pumped through the body enabling it to cope with whatever catastrophe may come its way. The problems arise when this response is out of proportion to the actual danger of the situation, or indeed is generated when there is no danger present.
The physical symptoms of anxiety can be anything from a racing heart, difficulty breathing, tension in the body, digestive issues and headaches. The list is endless. Every person's body will vary.
The psychological symptoms of anxiety are often a feeling of constant worry, repetitive thoughts, nervousness, dread, irritability, detachment or fear of something particularly the future. Again, there is no template, each individual will have a unique experience.
Nearly 20 percent of UK adults — close to one-fifth of the adult population — are affected by anxiety according to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). So how can craniosacral therapy help? 1. Craniosacral therapy works with the mind and the body - often our stresses are carried and felt in our actual body - working with pain and tension and other manifestations of stress is a way of releasing from the body and creating calm.
2. Supporting the vagus nerve which can support our parasympathetic nervous system responsible for helping us to rest and digest. More recent research has confirmed the benefits of physical touch on the vagus nerve.
3. It works with the root cause of your anxiety - so whilst you might experience it as stress at work, it might also be related to the underlying way that you approach your work, the standards you set for yourself for example, and where that programming has come from
4. By allowing yourself a set time every week where your body can be held, and experience deep rest and relaxation, your body starts to create a new picture for yourself which incorporates stillness, rather than constant activity which creates a calm to refer back to
5. Craniosacral therapy helps you to access more of yourself, your entirety - which means it's going to show you your actual potential and the inherent healing power of your body, this helps you to see your place in the world and get perspective, the more you expand the more you can hold and the less overwhelming anxious feelings or thoughts will be.
P.S. If you’re ready to dive deeper than ever before, here are 5 ways I can help you heal, grow and awaken your inner alchemist
1. Work with me privately in a transformational 6 week journey to heal the root causes of trauma and pain. Just drop me an email and put 'Private Alchemy' in the subject line, tell me what you'd like to heal.
2. Learn how to heal trauma using energy medicine in my latest course- an initiation for experienced practitioners. I will be sharing techniques that have been revealed to me through sacred alchemy work that I use in practice.
3. Grow your practice with private 1-1 mentoring in Alchemy Lab, my accelerator programme for therapists who are ready to break new ground and scale their business, or for those who want support to get started in private practice.
4. Learn healing alchemy at the School of Healing Alchemy, online in depth courses that you can take in your own time 5. Join my monthly group healing sessions which are attended by people around the world